Tuesday 4 June 2013

Acorn Tuesday Open, 4th June 2013

It promised to be a warm and sunny day, the one thing I wasn't expecting was the wind whipping across the lake when I arrived. Into the cafe to pay and it now turns out the Tuesday Tenner match is actually £13 if you want to go in the golden peg.  As there was £360 in the golden peg kitty, there was 6 golden pegs, each worth £60.

I think my peg was one of them, but I wasn't at all convinced that it would give up enough to pocket the cash, peg 14 on cyanide straight was to be my place of penance today, I have no idea who or what to sacrifice to the draw gods to change my luck.  I had intended to fish for silvers, but setting up, with the wind off my back, I did go round and clear an area to fish banded pellet tight across. Four rigs set up today, a rig for banded pellet right across, a rig for the far shelf, a skimmer rig for down the track and a meat rig, that would do for across and at 3m to my left.

The meat did not produce a bite, so no more of that, the banded pellet saw a 3lb fish in the net first put in, then a 20 minute wait for the next one and that was just a lb. The wind changed round and blew straight down the lake from L to R, that saw me reverting back to plan A, I had fed a groundbait line down the track, but this produced nothing, on either caster or maggot for most of the second hour, I then had a few skimmers and some decent roach, best one 14oz, but they wouldn't keep coming.

The usually productive short maggot line gave up half a dozen decent skimmers and then a carp snaffled the maggot and killed that off.  it was hard work, swapping and changing between the short line, the track and the far shelf. This put a few carp in the net that weigh heavier than they look, as I thought I had 28lb ish of carp and they went 46.10, the reluctant skimmers went 12.09, making me 7th overall and 4th in the silvers, one out of the silvers money by default. The only consolation I had was being the top weight by about 12lb from peg 10 to peg 21, cyanide straight living up to its name.

Peg 8 was a golden peg and with Dave Wride on it, as expected he trousered the golden peg cash and the match win. Interesting to see the top two silvers weights come from bridge pegs.

1) Dave Wride 142.11 (and he was over in one net, but only by 12oz) peg 8
2) Mike Owens 82.10 peg 2
3) Kevin Jefferies 74.10 peg 34
4) Gabriel Skarba 66.12 peg 22
5) N Coles 66.04 peg 6
6) Mike Chapman 59.04 peg 30
7) Chris Fox 59.03 peg 14

Silvers

1) Kevin Jefferies 20.14 peg 34
2) Gabriel Skarba 19.04 peg 22
3) Andy Gard 16.06 peg 4
4) Chris Fox 12.09 peg 14

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Making judgement from your recent blogs, as you can't pick your preferred peg to fish I suggest you change what you can such as your Psyche.

Bristol Psv said...

Interesting point that. The power of positive thinking!

tony rixon,s days out said...

What does that mean

Chris Fox said...

I read a report by some medic recently and us eternal pessimists have longer lives than optimists, so I won't be changing anytime soon.

Anonymous said...

No one gets out a live!!