Saturday 29 June 2013

Clevedon Club Match, Acorn Top Lake, Saturday 29th June 2013

A 12.30 draw for this match, so a lie in this morning, I'd be happy to fish a few more summer matches with a later start, as we often seem to pack up just as the fish start feeding.   11 fishing so the whole length of the lake used, including the newly dug area.

I wasn't too concerned where I drew, but with a gusting wind blowing down the lake, towards Paddock lake, peg one had the wind blowing into the end bank, so looked favourable. Remarkably, peg one found its way into my usually unreliable drawing hand.  We could drive round, so no walk and that meant that I was actually ready at the start. I set up a Malman winter wire on 0.14, with a 18 Drennan Carp Maggot hook to fish maggot short. A MW slim to fish hard pellet, that had a 18 B960 with a band to 0.14, a NG Gimp to fish soft pellet, tthat had a 16 63-13 to 0.14 and finally a Big H paste float on 0.16 straight through to a 14 Mustad paste hook.

The wind was going to make presentation tricky so I fed 4mm pellet at topkit+4 along the end bank, the same into open water with groundbait and caster and a short line with maggot.  I dropped into the short line to let the others settle and had a couple of 6oz roach, before getting a couple of skimmers. I had a look over the pellet line with a 6mm banded pellet and had a small carp, before catching skimmers on the pellet, but not as quickly as the short line. The groundbait line in open water only peoduced a couple of rudd, so I binned that and concentrated on the two lines. I had a few more skimmers off the short line, but as there was no silvers payout in this match, I needed some carp to go with the skimmers.

I had a decent run of fish on paste from the pellet fed line, fishing tight to the end bank, which is the same depth as the open water, no margin shelf here. When this went quiet, I had some more skimmers short, on maggot, before taking a few more carp in the last half an hour from the paste line.  The carp are small and its not easy to estimate, I had clicked 42lb and thought I had low double figures of silvers.

The scales started at the opposite end and Mark Broomsgrove had struggled in the new area, weighing 15lb,  the ever consistent Rod Wootten weighed 64.12 which looked good for the win, as the wind had made things tricky for everyone. Rod stayed top weight until the scales got to me, my clicked 42lb went 47.10 and the skimmers were a better stamp than they looked, as they (and some nice roach up to 12oz) went 19.04 to pinch the win from Rod.  Some consolation for the fact that the wind took my pole off the roller and blew it into my car, snappingthe No7 section with a clean break, Nissan X Trail 1 Tourny Pro 0. It had to be an expensive section as well.....

1) Chris Fox 66.14 peg 1
2) Rod Wootten 64.12 peg 10
3) Brian Slipper 55.06 peg 3
4) Kev Perry 52.04 peg 4
5) Paul Faiers 43.04 peg 8
6) Phil Deacon 34.13 peg 2

Silvers

1) Adie Baker. 30.00 peg 6
2) Chris Fox 19.04 peg 1

No comments: