Sunday 8 February 2015

Landsend Winter League Round 3, Sunday 8th February 2015

I can remember having some conversations last year about PMA and have tried to incorporate this into my fishing and prep,  this week I was positive I needed to draw 41, 42, 68 or 70 to keep up my 100% record in the silvers league.  No surprise when I picked from the last 3 pegs in the bucket, of which 70 was one, that I ended up on 55, as far away from 70 as it is possible to get...... I was already resigned to a silvers disaster

It took well over an hour to break the ice out to make a fishable area, that worked a few breakfast calories off!!  I had managed to break out to the end bank and to the spit, as well as straight in front, so felt I had several options, hopefully some silvers from the open water and carp from the end bank or spit.

I set up 3 rigs, a Sensas pencil float on 0.14 with a 0.08 hooklength, with a 20 6313, to fish the open water, for the same line - just in case I was bagging..... a MW F1 Slim on 0.14 with a 0.10 and a 18 6313 hooklength and finally a short NG Gimp to fish the end bank / spit, this had a 16 6313on 0.12.

To cut a long boring day short, I started on the light rig in the open water with pinkie over groundbait, this produced a bite every put in for half an hour, which was micro perch, you'd have needed s crack dealers scales to weigh them. Then lifting into a more positive bite saw the Middy 1-5 elastic coming out the pole at a rate that suggested this wasn't a 4 dram perch. A steady fight saw a 3lbish carp netted, a switch to the 0.10 rig produced one more micro perch then nothing, a swap back to the 0.08 rig saw another carp netted next drop in, this one on a full size maggot.

That was it for 4 hours and 20 minutes, not another bite, I tried the open water, the end bank, the spit and went to 16m to where the haybale basket used to be, pellet, maggot, pinkie, meat, corn, all to no avail, not so much as a liner.

With 15 minutes to go I topped up the GB line with a large ball and 5 minutes later carp No3 was netted, it was a hard day, I had Trigger for company opposite on 58 and he managed 2 carp and a couple of better silvers, so it seemed as our end of the lake, which had the thickest ice cover, had very few fish, or at least virtually none willing to feed.

My micro perch were awarded 3oz for last in section silvers, so that was frustrating, although I would have not expected to beat at least two of the pegs in the section, my 3 carp went 12.07, for a total of 12.10, which was second in section, so all is not lost, as one result can be dropped, but it does put the pressure on early in the series.

1: Nick Chedzoy 83.09 peg 31
2: Ian Bouncey 68.07 peg 33
3: Tony Rixon 66.14 peg 62
4: Adrian Jeffery 45.07 peg 70
5: Steve Seager 28.08 peg 11
6: John Bradford 24.14 peg 41

Silvers

1: Rod Wotton  11.08 peg 19
2: Gary O'Shea 9.14 peg 37

No comments: