Tuesday 3 February 2015

Viaduct Winter League Round 2. Sunday 1st February 2015

Back to the big match atmosphere and banter, that was the enjoyable part of the day......

I decided that I would do the team draw this week, as we have Nick Merry standing in on the next round and I promised him I wouldn't draw that match!!  Team draw 11, was my dismal picking from the 4 left in the bucket, not a good draw, but surely it couldn't be as bad as the last round.
124 for me, Paul on 88, Glenn on 60, Paul Elmes standing in for Mike walker on 37 and Fred on 12 (sorry Fred).

For company on 123 I had Don Sutherland and Tony Rixon on 125, I knew that 124 was going to be hard, one out of the corner - it might as well be in the car park in that respect -  and too far down to pick up carp if they were in their usual winter haunt.

I started on the lead and it was a spectacularly boring 3/4 of an hour, without so much as a liner on bread or meat. A switch to the waggler and corn saw the float going under regularly, but it was an undertow dragging the peacock insert float under, a switch to straight peacock saw the float managing to stay bouyant in the tow.  It did result in one bite, a small unseasonal tench, by now I could see the pegs I would have fancied, 115 and 116 catching carp, with 123 and 119 both catching down to their end bank.  A switch to silvers might be the only chance of a pick up, as I was going nowhere fishing for carp and I dropped in on the line I had fed with groundbait at the start. First drop in and a 2lb skimmer in the net, it wasn't fast and furious after that, a steady match, with long waits for bites saw me net 9.04 of silvers for a lake silvers win.

Tony had managed one 12lb carp on the lead and a few silvers and the weights on the lake varied from 127.03 down to 6oz, winter fishing sucks....
The team was last on the day, rock bottom, no one caught a carp, Paul managing a 4th in the silvers off of peg 88 with 9.08, Fred a depressing 10 ruffe for 8oz, lets hope Fred draws us a better peg next match.

To round off my misery, I picked up 6th in the silvers and trousered £30, only to get text messages and phone calls advising that a mistake had been made and Matt Tomes had beaten me by 1oz and his weight had been missed on the result totting up, could I give him the money......  well I could if the current Mrs F, Tony and Judith and myself hadn't spent it in the local Indian last night!!  Thanks Matty, very nice it was too.....

For the results in full, see:

http://silverfoxangling.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/sunday-01022015-viaduct-winter-league.html

Next up, lake 3 at Landsend, I will be taking several large toys to throw from my pram if I draw shite there again, I would have gone to Hillview on Saturday, but think I will give it a miss and go to the Classic Bike show at the Bath and West.

No comments: