Sunday 9 July 2017

Acorn Evening Open, Thursday 6th July 2017

The bag of ping pong balls gave me peg 12, not sure why when there was so many empty pegs, that 11 was in as well, but I'm not a venue expert, so maybe there was a good reasoning behind it.



Bart has been at the banks with his digger again, this time pulling out the rushes and other plants around the outside margins, this had led to much flotsam covering the favoured RH margin in my peg.

I went round and cut out a gap to fish tight to the island, so set up a rig to fish in 12" of water, another for the second shelf which is about 2'6", there was some bubbling just at the bottom of the near slope, I wasn't sure if it was fish or gas coming from the bottom, it looked like fish blows, but was a little too regular.  Last but not least was a margin rig, I had pondered bringing a method feeder rod, but left it in the garage, that may have been a mistake.

Going straight across, I had a couple of fish straight away and then that was it, no liners, no indications, I had been flicking pellets short, so had a look there, that was a non event as well.  There were some fish showing in the open water off the island, so I had a go for them, hooking one straight away, sussed I thought, but as so often in fishing, I hadn't sussed it, I never had another shallow.

I think that myself and peg 11 were causing the fish to move around between us, rather than settling in one place.  I had been feeding 8mm pellets in the margin and dropped in there, had a couple of fish and thought it would get better- it might have, but the wind / surface skim then pushed the flotsam barrier in, over the fish, the cover was good, but it was so thick, I couldn't get a rig through it - here is where I was regretting leaving the method rod at home, as a method would have dropped through.

I could see Steve Shaw on 8 catching well, so knew it was all over, I did stay to weigh in and managed 4th place, peg was probably worth a bit more, but not sure it could have had the weight of the winner.

Given the success of Mark Walsh, just fishing paste on his topkit, I might have to take some next match.



No comments: