Sunday 16 July 2017

Norman Sterry's Open, Viaduct Saturday 15th July 2017

Nice to get back to Viaduct and even better, a draw on Campbell, 127, not the peg I would have chosen, but there are fish to be caught from every peg on this lake.



A lead rod was set up (and it went away unused) as well as a waggler.  Two topkits with rigs to fish meat, one with a couple of No11's down the line and a bulk rig.  A shallow rig and a full depth pellet rig. As there was loads of time I also set up a lighter pellet rig, in case the skimmers were having a go.  Finally a rig to fish the edge, luckily it was within an inch or two the same depth either side.

Starting sort on meat, first put in saw a 2lb skimmer in the net, then his smaller brother and that was it, no other indications.  A switch to pellet at 14m and the fizzing started, but no bites, I tried shallow, on the deck and several depths in between, all to no avail, not even a liner.  I stared a new line up with 4mm pellet at 11m to the LH side, hoping for skimmers, but again, nothing I was yet to get a bite on a pellet.

With well over an hour gone I was struggling, so feed some GB and dead maggot on the 11m line and went over it with a section of worm, this brought an occasional skimmer and one carp, but it was slow going.  I tried the waggler - nothing, I cannot ever recall fishing this lake before and not having a bite on pellet. 

With 4pm approaching, I had been feeding the edges and had a few drop ins from about 2.30 onwards, all without reward, when finally the float dipped and a bream about 3lb had taken the meat.  Swopping between sides, from then until the end of the match gave me 7 more carp and ensured I had .the 'all important ton' ( a couple or so years ago I made a statement saying every peg on Campbell was worth 100lb from May to early October......)

My 100.02 put me 9th over all and second in section, so one out of any pick up, one more fish would have been enough for the section, frustrating as they didn't feed until so late.





No comments: