Sunday 30 July 2017

Ivy House Open, Sunday 30th July 2017

When I rang up to book in I booked into the match on the canal, I wanted to see if I could keep my run of wins/framing going and I fancied a busy day with a few bites.  On arrival at the fishery, Andy said there was only another 1 or 2 booked on the canal, so only one match today, on the Match Lake.  Oh well, no prep, either tackle or mentally for the late switch, so after a nice breakfast and coffee (A fishery that has a machine to make fresh coffee from beans - surely it must catch on!!) into the drawbag and out comes peg 19.

19 is a corner peg, so my thoughts of fishing for silvers were put on the back burner, as along with most lakes, the corners here aren't noted for big skimmer weights.  Plenty of time to get set up, I had put my ready made up rod bags into the van, just in case the match was switched, so a lead rod set up and a waggler, both with the thought of fishing 8mm pellet halfway across.

I got 3 topkits out, set one up with a 0.3g HB Chump, banded 16 B960 on 0.16 for hard pellet at 14m, same float on 0.16 with a 0.12 hooklength and a 18 Kaizen hook for corn, dead maggot or if I got desperate enough, devils spawn.  Then with such a nice end bank, I had to set up a margin rig, initial thoughts were to go with hard pellet in the edge, so a HB AK47 with a banded 14 B960 on 0.18.  Plumbing up I found a little shelf about 2' out from the bank, that was about 18" deep, then a little tapered rise before the shallower shelf close in, this was about 12" deep, so a HB AK mini margin float was hastily put on another topkit, to fish maggot up the slope.

I was just about ready, when, just to confuse matters, Andy(Lloyd) walked past and said "carp were caught here yesterday, short on paste" Hmmm, as I was thinking I was on the canal, any paste I had was at home in the freezer.  I did have a bit of green Swimstim in the van, so another topkit out and knocked up some paste - I should have saved myself the bother......

On the all-in I potted in some softened pellets short, then some GB, corn, micros and dead maggots at 11m, before starting at 14m with 6mm hard pellet. 30 minutes of this and nothing to show for it had me reaching for the skimmer rig, better to be putting something in the net and there was the odd bubble over the 11m GB line. First two drop ins with a grain of corn on the hook and two skimmers about 1 1/4lb were n the net, then nothing.  A switch to the waggler, conditions were lovely for it, I had about 4' of water, so a peacock waggler with just a micro swivel down the line, it was bound to go under - but it didn't it resolutely sat there, mocking me with the perfect presentation and nothing to show for it.

Back on the skimmer line with corn and out of the blue a 7lb carp was the next fish from here, but he was a loner, as I didn't hook another.  I did try dead maggot, this wasn't much better, I added a couple more skimmers, but these were smaller.  I had been pinging some pellets to the end bank and had a look here, but nothing.  Back on the waggler, I couldn't believe it hadn't gone under earlier and my disbelief was compounded, as it still remained motionless.

By now (2pm) it was obvious I was behind, I had to catch carp to try and get back in the match and the end bank seemed to be the most likely, so a switch to GB and dead maggot feed - as this is something I have more confidence in than pellet - I had a bite straight away and missed it, then another and it was a roach.  Another pot of feed and finally a carp, another about 7/8lb to join the loner from earlier, this was on the shallower margin rig..  There were some very hungry and determined ducks that were up ending and eating the bait when ever I brought the pole back, they were colouring the water, so a switch to double worm made sense.  This was a lot better and I had a run of fish to about 14lb.  Then it rained, proper rain, this didn't put them off but it was uncomfortable fishing in it. 

I had to top up the bait after every fish and the ducks were content with this as well, not sure why, whether they'd eaten their fill or just got bored, but the ducks moved away and the bites dropped off, I was waiting  a lot longer for a bite now they'd gone.  Luckily the run of fish I had was enough, I had 54lb and 47lb on my clicker for each net and I weigh 103lb of carp and 6lb silvers for 109.08 and first on the day, keeping my nice little run here going.

Next up, Saturday at Viaduct for the Angling for Heroes match.


No comments: