Sunday 16 July 2017

Ivy House Open, Kingfisher Canal, Sunday 16th July 2017

Back to Ivy House after a successful last two visits there, on the canal again, this time with 9 fishing and another separate Open on the Match Lake.  Nice thing about Ivy House is the coffee machine, proper decent coffee to kick start the day!!!

I drew peg 5, so a short walk and plenty of time to set up, I set up two rigs to fish across, one about 15" deep, I found one small area that a plummet would sit on at that depth, so hoped to catch there. Another rig at about 2' 6" which the next depth with any sort of shelf.

A rig to fish short and one for down the track, identical apart from the depth and the float size - Hillbilly Chumps, on 0.16, with a 18 Kaizen hook tied to 0.12.  Finally a rig to fish down the edge.  bait tray was simply pellets, hard and soft, maggots and corn.

On the all in I fed the short line and started across, this resulted in a couple of fish, but the same problem I have had in the past, liners and lots of them, even with the float touching the bank, not quite sure how to overcome this.  I had seen a few skimmer bubbles between me and peg 6 before the start and was hoping they'd move my way.

I switched to the short line and started catching the stockies straight away, no sign of the skimmers.  The action wasn't frantic here either, but it was just as quick as fishing across, without the shipping in and out time.  I also fed a line at 7 sections, this was really slow to start with and never really got going quick enough to make me change to it, other than when resting the short line.

I tried across again and had another stockie, I picked up the deeper rig and went back over and had two in two put ins, maybe this was the answer.  Next drop in a bite, I lifted into the fish and it went into some vegetation under the water, taking the float and elastic into it.  No choice, but to pull for a break, but the bloody elastic broke at the puller bead, taking the PTFE bush with it.  Now I had the debris, a rig and a length of 12 solid all where I was fishing.  That was the end of fishing across.

Back onto the short line and I was having to lower the rig in, flicking it out meant that whatever bait I put on, it was grabbed by a roach.  I kept some stockies and silvers coming, with a little spell on the 7 section line, but with an hour or so to go, I could see some swirls down the edge, where I had fed some GB and maggots/corn.  It was typical of margin fishing at many venues now, the fish were tail waving and boiling up the water, but either a small fish grabbed the bait first or the bigger ones either touched the line and shot out of the peg.  I did mange 4 for 20lb, so it was worth persevering with.

The scales gave me 32.02 of silvers, and 55.12 of carp, 87.14, enough for the match win and also the silvers and as you pick up both here at Ivy House, it was a welcome pick up - and after the all-out I went round and cleared out the snag, got my elastic, float and someone else's float as well. so happy days!!


Results of match on match lake below.







No comments: