Monday 17 June 2019

Viaduct Spring League Final Round, Sunday 16th June 2019

It still seems a little strange for the Glorious 16th to be just another day in the match calendar, it used to have real meaning and resonance for myself and many other anglers.

So, after yesterdays aborted match and severe back pain, I was wondering if I would make today, I had dosed myself up with Codeine and Tramadol, more than the label said and whilst the pain was still there, the pain killers made it bearable.  I decided that I would just take my margin pole, waggler and lead rods and make that work, no way could I be holding a long pole.

The draw was kind to me, in giving me a peg sheltered from the wind, in 128, the spit and its heavy arboreal growth sheltering me from the wind ripping down the lake.  In all honesty, the peg could do with a bit of trimming, as the margin brambles, the willow and the general weed growth along the spit all interfere with the peg to some extent, especially in my case, as the end of the spit is not reachable with rod and line due to the willow trees.


So, a simple set up, one waggler rod, one lead rod and my trusty Multi Margin, 5 topkits, a paste rig, a rig to fish meat at 5m, one to fish banded pellet at 7m and a couple of margin rigs to fish along to the trees and if my back would cope, the final section to go to 8m and fish against the spit.

Starting on 8mm meat at 5m I had two carp for about 12lb and a skimmer in the first 30 minutes, but no other signs.  Out to the 7m pellet line, which I didn't feed until I started on it, feeding plain feed pellets I had a skimmer, then a 5lb carp, but again, this died off, I feel this is when I should have gone long and maybe fished shallow, as there were fish out there.

I tried the waggler, but even with 12" of line on the bottom with a 8mm pellet on, it was being dragged through by the surface skim, I couldn't find any trip going back the other way,  so I even resorted to the dreaded lead and got photographic evidence....

The tip didn't move, if I am honest, I didn't really expect it to, the fish don't seem to be getting there heads down and feeding properly, no fizzing anywhere in the peg today, even when I dump potted micros to try paste over.

Glynn Reynolds had said I'd catch in front of the bush, I never had a bite there all match, so on with the last section of pole and out to the spit, potting in a few 8mm Burts Polony Pellets in.  Instant response and I had 3 fish in fairly quick succession on the Polony pellets, but that was it, no more signs.  I wasn't going to put GB or maggots in because of the depth, but decided to put one small ball in. Dropping straight after with 5 dead maggots on the hook, the float buried and after a very brief tussle an old warrior about 14lb was netted.

The maggots (and trying worms) only produced perch, roach and skimmers after that, I persevered for a short spell, but felt there weren't any carp there.  I switched back to feeding the 8mm Polony pellets and had a look back on the 7m pellet line in open water, one lost fouler and a couple of liners later, I looked back to the spit, first drop in I hooked a fish that was in the brambles before I could react, a small fish no doubt, they are the worst for running into snags, the bigger ones don't do it, lost the complete rig, hate doing that!

I did hook one more fish against the spit and was holding the pole bent nearly double as the fish tried to get to the brambles and in end I wondered what would break first if the fish didn't turn, the 0.18 hooklength was the victim, at least I got the float back and didn't leave line trailing, which I hate doing, even when its totally accidental.

The last 40 minutes were really enjoyable, the better fish rocked up on the 5m line, first time they have done so for a while and I ended the day with a touch over 102lb.  No good in section, well done to Jeb the other side of the spit who had 200lb+, I wonder if the fish had moved round the spit into the wind.  Bit of a battle with Paul Elms on the next peg, as a few weeks ago he battered me, he did beat me again, but by just 5lb, so those lost fish cost me the head to head with him.

19 tons today, so the fishing is getting back on track, I managed 18th out of 54, nothing to shout about, but in a drug (prescribed) induced euphoria and a self imposed 8m limit, not as bad as it could have been.

Top Weights of Today:
1. Clayton Hudson - 202lb 3oz - peg 81
2. Jeb Attwood - 201lb 1oz - peg 129
3. Steve Chant - 168lb 5oz - peg 64
4. Ron Hardiman - 155lb - peg 66
5. Aidan Bordiuk - 152lb - peg 111
6. Dan Hook - 146lb 4oz - peg 115
7. Leon Hubbard - 137lb 3oz - peg 88
8. Steve Shaw - 133lb 6oz - peg 135
9. Phil Hardwick - 126lb - peg 110
10. Nick Ewers - 124lb - peg 62
11. Richard A’Herne - 120lb 8oz - peg 131
12. Clint Wojtyla - 120lb 7oz - peg 114
13. Rob Wiltshire - 115lb 5oz - peg 113
14. Nick Chedzoy - 114lb 14oz - peg 121
15. Roy Worth - 109lb 2oz - peg 85
16. Paul Elmes - 107lb - peg 127
17. Sam Powell - 104lb 12oz - peg 119
18. Chris Fox - 102lb 5oz - peg 128
19. Bela Bakos - 100lb 3oz - peg 123
20. Lee Pesticcio - 90lb 5oz - peg 130

No comments: