Saturday 22 January 2022

Acorn Winter League R4, Acorn, Saturday 22nd January 2022

 Round 4, so that means a free draw again, so no idea what section and who I'll be fishing against, took a whie for name to be called out followed by 24...... FFS, 24 historically a poor peg in the section and with the venue being largely iced over, albeit only about 1/8" thick so easy to break, I was in for a tough day.

At least with the goats and sheep moved into their winter abode off the island, it's easy to break a channel all the way across by going round and doing it from both sides.


I set up a dobbing rig for bread, anther for maggots across in just over 2' of water (in front of the grass, not the bare bank, one for down the track and one for down to the pallet of 25, where I'd broken out a channel, but a couple of feet from the bank, I didn't think they'd venture right into the margins.

It seemed just right to start on bread, but after 50 minutes I attached a tiny pot and reverted to my favourite bait, the humble gentle.  Fed 5 maggots across dropped a single maggot in amongst them and had a bite soon after, a lively F1 just over a couple of lb tried using the ice to escape under, but thankfully it was netted saving the blank.

Stayed on that and in the next hour or so I had 4 carp, one of which was a double, another just under and a couple of other decent fish, I reckon 4 for nigh on 30lb, then the ice started to move and melt, that ended the bites across and I struggled for the last couple of hours, adding two roach, two skimmers and a carp about 1 lb to the net.  That was to be my lot, which was one out of the money (only sections paid, two in each section), but all things being equal, 3rd in section wasn't a disaster from that peg.





No comments: