Wednesday 3 May 2017

Acorn Costcutter, Tuesday 2nd May 2017

Was looking forward to another go at a Landsend costcutter, but Tony couldn't get enough interest to make it worthwhile.  So to keep the travelling down we settled on Acorn's regular costcutter, via the Bridge Inn at Yatton for breakfast, which was decent and huge!!

16 fishing, so the pegs were spread out, I pulled 9 out of the ping pong ball bag, Faiersy put the mockers on it when he said "you should win it from there"..... he also advised setting up a method feeder and I had brought a 9' Preston Mini Carp rod, so set that up first, not really expecting to use it.

Topkits assembled were a Hillbilly AK47 for down the edge, a homemade float for fishing across, I couldn't find a decent shelf in the shallow water, so had to settle on mid slope for a starting point.  Then a rig to fish on the shelf which was about 2 1/2' deep and finally a homemade 4x12 float for down the track.

Bait was simple, pellet and maggot, I did pump a few expanders and I started on these at topkit + 2, I fed a few micros and some 6mm hard pellets and had a bit of blowing nearly straight away, I managed 2 fish in 30 minutes from this line, with no other indication apart from the odd bubble.  There were some signs of fish shallow, so off my box and a shallow rig set up, but try as I might, I couldn't get a bite on it in the open water.

I had been feeding right across and saw an odd swirl there, so across with the shallow rig and I did get a couple of fish, but could only get a bite by having the float touching the far bank and set at 6".  Peg 5 was empty and Mark Walsh on peg 4 was fishing short, this gave the fish a lot of water to back off into and I could see them moving around tight to the far bank opposite peg 5.  I picked up the method and putting micros round it and a 6mm pellet on the hook, chucked it towards peg 5's far bank. That resulted in a motionless tip, so I switched to GB round the feeder and 3 dead reds on the hook, that saw 4 fish come to the net about 5 minutes apart, then I lost one at the net.  That was the end of that.

Given that GB and maggot had been best on the method, I toss potted some GB and maggot across to the far bank and had a couple of fish on banded maggot, but same as the other lines it didn't last long.  For the last two hours I really struggled, I tried all lines again for no return at all and with 15 minutes to go I finally saw some activity down the edge.  I had two more fish in the last 15 minutes, shame the edge fish showed up so late.

I weighed 60lb odd for nowhere, as further down the lake the weights were better, I think my weight was top from 37 round to 13, so not many fish at this end of the lake for some reason.

Top on the day was Ray Bazeley with 123lb on peg1, followed by Tony Rixon on 21 with 111lb.

No comments: