Monday 15 May 2017

Viaduct Spring League Round 2, Sunday 7th May 2017

I drew 125 on Campbell for this one, I didn't feel it was a strong peg in the section, but I have won from it, so always a chance.  I set up a lead rod and a waggler rod, as well as 3 topkits, a Malman Roob for meat short, a NG slim for pellet at 14m and a edge rig, same one would do for both sides.

On the all-in I started on the short meat line, as did Ben on my right on 126 and Paddy on 124.  They both had early carp, whilst I matched them fish for fish, except mine were small skimmers...  I did eventually get one on the meat, but it was a one off.

I switched to the 14m pellet line and had two in two put in's, thinking that this was the answer, as we could see anglers on the opposite bank catching well, whereas us on124, 125 and 126 were struggling.  That too was a false dawn and no more fish were had from that line all day.

I could see fish moving across the peg, probably past the halfway mark, so I tried the waggler as far as I dare, but to no avail, same as the lead.  I got off my box and set up another lead rod to try bread popped up just below the surface, first chuck I had a fish and then nothing, a by now familiar pattern.

I had a couple more fish by persevering with the short meat line, but it was a slog for very little reward.  I fed both edges and tried them, I did have 20lb of tench and bream along with three big commons, but Ben was edging in front as he was catching on his meat line, we were both a long way behind those on the far bank.

I ended about where I thought I would, last but one, getting nowhere near the 217lb of match winner Dan Squires on 119, as I put 87.04 on the scales, this one will be my dropper!!!

No comments: