Monday 15 May 2017

Tony Rixon's Short Pole Series, Trinity Waters, Sunday 14th May 2017

Nice to get back to Trinity and the warm Welcome from Misha & Tom.  Round one of Tony's short pole series, topkit and 3 sections are allowed, nothing else, so nice and simple.

Peg 6 was to be my home for the day, its not a draw you can complain about, but it doesn't seem to throw up the big weights from the margin it used to.  The wind was rippling the other end of the lake and I would have liked a bit of that, but peg 6 was doing a good impression of the oft described millpond.

Setting up couldn't be simpler, 3 sections of pole and some topkits, one for down the edge, which is a little deeper than I'd like at about 3'-3 1/2' deep.   I also set up a paste rig to fish at full range of the 3 sections, a rig to fish banded pellet and another rig with a plain hook on, in case I resorted to corn or even a soft pellet.  There were a few fish moving about, so I did set up a shallow rig, as there was plenty of time. 

On the all in I cupped in some pellet and there was a swirl right by the pot, hmmm, straight out with the shallow rig and into a good fish immediately, after a bit of a tussle, a 14lber was netted and I was back out looking for another - well I'd love to write about a simple day catching shallow, but that was the only bite on that rig, even though I tried it several times during the day.

I had two more on the paste in the first hour, giving me about 33lb, a decent start, but I know that on this lake the middle of the match can be tough..... and so it was, I couldn't get a bite on paste or pellet and I felt it wasn't worth messing about pumping pellets or opening corn.

I didn't want to go down the edge too early, but felt I was left with little option, so decided to try and pick a few fish off by toss potting meat in, its not a bait I have had much success with on this lake, but it did bring a couple of fish, as well as a perch and a skimmer. I was getting a lot of bites on it, some of which were liners and some was just shit fish attacking the meat.

With 2 hours to go, I put some GB and maggots in down the edge, to try and revive it, slightly deeper than I'd really like for fishing maggots, but needs must.  This brought a couple more fish, but I had to drag the bait up the steep slope to get a bite that was actually a carp, rather than a liner.

At 15.00 I saw a few bubbles over the paste line and dropped in and had two fish in quick succession, I then hooked something large, no idea how big, it wouldn't come up off the bottom and eventually did me under the pallet.  I had about 80lb on my clicker and was expecting to break the ton as the fishing got stronger in the last hour - what do I know, I had one fish in the last hour and a quarter, a 6lb common with 5 minutes to go.

No idea why it switched off, I wasn't the only one who had a dire last hour, that said my 89.03 was enough for the important section win and second on the day overall.  Well done to Joe who managed 119lb for the win off peg 17.



No comments: