Wednesday 11 December 2019

Acorn Winter League, Round 3, Saturday 7th December 2019

Got there a bit early and ended up playing with the fishery dog - still they are better company than many people...



After two decidedly average rounds, I was looking forward to being in the best section for this one, I did want to avoid pegs 1 and 3, so wasn't disappointed to draw 11, for a change, a decent draw.

A simple approach for this one, I'd forgotten to stop at the shop and get some bread, so pellets and maggots were the order of the day, plumbing round the peg I found plenty of places that had the same depth, so plenty of option with one rig.  Next was to plumb up on the second shelf across, found enough areas to give some options and finally a rig for the margin down towards the tree.



I did have a method rod set up in the van, so I put that on the roost, it went back in the van unused at the end, not sure why I waste the fuel transporting it...

Started across and I did have a skimmer after about 10 minutes, but it looked like a slow start all round, I switched to a two+2 line just off to my left and had a couple of carp from there on maggots over nuggets of GB with maggots in.  A 20 Kaizen hook to 0.12 was the favoured end tackle and a home made diamond bodied float, with a carbon stem, I find these very stable in windy conditions.

A couple of skimmers from that line and then it died off, I did try across again, but I wasn't getting any indications.  I ventured down to the tree at 13m, fishing just off the outside of it, started feeding a few micros and an expander on the hook, I had one carp on this, but a switch to maggot was more successful and a succession of carp followed.

The last 3/4 of an hour slowed up, the fish had backed off a little, I persevered thinking they'd come back, but I had to give in and put another section on the get another one.

My 82.15 was enough to win by a reasonable margin, so some slim chance of salvaging something from this league, a random draw next match, before rotating again.


No comments: