Wednesday 18 December 2019

Vidauct Silvers League, Final Round, Sunday 15th December 2019

I did wonder if I could resurrect a bit of pride from this league, I have had some draws that certainly don't stand out as silvers pegs.  Nice breakfast in the Cross Keys at Lydford-on-the Fosse and we were at Viaduct in plenty of time for Tony to choose a parking space near the shop.

Not sure if that parking was an omen, as we both drew Lodge, Tony 64 ( I did feel for him, I had it and it certainly isn't a good section peg) myself 59, which should be good for a few fish.

I set up two wagglers, one for caster, one for corn, the caster rod had a Drennan glowtip and the corn rig, a Preston peacock insert with a hi vis tip, both 0.10 hooklengths with a 20 and 18 hook respectively.

3 topkits, one with a HB float with strung out No11's, this for caster on a short line and the same float in 0.3g for a line at 14.5m.  Also a 0.5g chimp style float in case the wind got up, as the peg is quite deep, the aerator obviously scours the bottom out.

Fed some GB, caster and dead maggot on one line at 14.5m at the start and had a look on the caster line at 2+3.  nothing doing there, so after 20 minutes, onto the GB line, that was pretty slow as well, just a couple of small roach.  Switched to fishing the waggler over the GB with a single caster, but that was slow as well.

Next couple of hours were spent on the heavier waggler fishing corn to where there were branches caught round the aerator rope that stretches across the lake, there were fish moving there, a couple of carp, but also skimmers.  I had some indications, some bites and 5 skimmers on the corn, before the wind and tow made it difficult, putting an S in the line and pulling the float away from the area where the fish had been sat.  I think the moved anyway, as to my left they had a couple of skimmers on the wag after I stopped catching.

I did have one skimmer over the GB line after that, but it was a lonesome soul and I finished up having a couple of hybrids and some stocky little roach from the caster line.  My 13.11 being enough to win the section (and lake), also 5th on the day, my weight bettered by 4 on Campbell.

Overall, I was joint 10th on points, dropping to 11th with a worst dropper, I can't really complain about that from the draws  I had and I was happy with the way I fished all the pegs, which really were some you don;t want in a silvers league.

Well done on Viaduct Winter League team mate Richard Aherne taking out the league and unlucky to Tony, drawing one of 'my pegs' (64) which saw him come second.





No comments: