Friday 27 December 2019

Viaduct Silvers Pairs, Day One, Friday 27th December 2019

Work had meant I hadn't had a chance to fish this the last few years, so was looking forward to this year, fishing with Paul Faiers, against some tough opposition.

I drew peg 38, not a bad draw if the skimmers were still sat there, I had Matt Parsons on 37, just the two of us on Middle, the rest of our section on Spring and Paul on the Campbell section, where I'd be tomorrow.  126 for Paul, probably not the the best draw on current form, but if it fishes hard, Paul can usually wheedle out a few roach.



My last visit to this peg ended in what I think is my only ever blank at Viaduct, a frozen lake in a winter league, gin clear water under the broken ice and I joined about half the field that DNW that day.  Surely it would be better than that!

I set up a waggler to fish corn, a couple of skimmer rigs, one 0.3g and one 0.5g - just to see which was best, I also fancied catching short, as the depth is good and it was very overcast.  So a Chianti with strung 11's for caster at 2+2.

Fed the two skimmer lines at 14m with GB/caster/dead maggot and started short, I caught straight away, roach and a couple of small hybrids, whilst keeping an eye on Matt who started on the waggler and corn.  I kept catching roach, so stuck with it for 30 minutes, I did then switch to the skimmer line and it was pretty slow going, I did have the odd fish, getting fish around the 1lb mark.  Matt was getting an odd decent skimmer on the waggler, but my efforts on it were only rewarded with roach and one small hybrid.

I had a decision to make, sit it out and wait and see if the skimmers rocked up, as they can go 2-3lb or carry on putting fish in the net short - by now I could catch on a topkit just over the dead reeds down to my right - decent roach, the odd hybrid and a perch.  I did lose two decent fish in the reeds - elastic was too soft, suspect it was a hybrid and a perch, but could have been two perch.

It was the right decision I think, the skimmers didn't really show up in any numbers and it was a lovely days caster fishing for 24.04, second on the lake, second in section and 5th overall.  Un fortunately, Paul's draw hadn't fished and we were midway after the first day.






No comments: