Saturday 19 February 2022

Acorn Winter League, Final Round, Saturday 19th February 2022

 The last round of what has been an unsuccessful league for me, if I were to compare it to football's Premier league, the last two years I finished in the Champions league places, whilst the year I was flirting with relegation.  I could do with a decent match to round the league off.

I was in what is the section that consistently puts up the highest weights, but was desperate to avoid peg 1, the pegs are drawn for you, so I was certainly happy to hear my name and then peg 5, it's where the fish are holed up this winter.

Just for a change, it was forecast to rain and be windy, the wind was South Westerly so was perfect for where I expected to catch.  The picture below shows the peg, the area I was expecting to catch and the SW and W wind direction



Given the forecast of wind to mid 40 mph, I set up two lead rods, one to fish bread and the other for maggot, three topkits, although one would remain unused.  A 4x12 Des Shipp maggot and the same float in 4x14, these in strung and bulk shotting patterns, respectively. 20 Kaizen hook on each rig, on 0.13.  I just got the 11m of my Sphere Power Partner out of the bag, not expecting to be able to fish across and achieve any sort of presentation.

Started at 2+2 into the zone on the picture, this was easy with the wind over my shoulder, I had a couple of liners, lost a fouler, then had a fish around the 7lb mark, as expected this line went quiet so I pushed out another section, had a couple more fish and indications, the wind started switching round to a full on Westerly,  This made presentation all but impossible in the area I wanted to fish, so I picked up a lead rod and went across with popped up bread, had a 3lber straight away, hen a couple of liners on the next casts, but no more fish.

Paul on 11 had been catching, but with the wind now blowing Westerly, we both stopped catching, I tried the bomb and maggot over my to no avail.  The fish definitely wanted it on a light strung out rig, so I persevered with that and had a couple of skimmers, a goldfish well over a pound and a F1, When the wind dropped I dropped back in to bowl and managed a couple more carp, I though Paul on peg 9 had beaten me, he had more fish, but I had a better stamp and I managed the section and match win by 3lb.... finally in this league!

Well done to Paul and Brian for running it (well done to me for doing their admin and excel work 😉 )
Gareth absolutely dominated, even his stand in won B section today, great performance.

Roll on the spring league, lets hope the wind has stopped by then!


 Final league table


Peg scores.  The figures below the chart are total weight per match, average per angler and median per angler.








No comments: