Tuesday 1 February 2022

Ron's Silvers League, Plantation, Sunday 30th January 2022

 Nice breakfast in the Wessex Flyer, might be the highlight of the day.

Consistently inconsistent would be an apt description for me lately, I drew peg 8, a peg you wouldn't complain about drawing, so happy enough.   I had brought a waggler and feeder, but left them in the bag, setting up 4 topsets, two different bulk rigs, a strung rig for skimmers and a roach rig.

Started by feeding two lines at 14.5m, one with a nugget of micros, one with a ball of GB without too much feed in, as I thought the cold might knock things back a bit, finally a line at 7 joints with caster. 

Started on the caster line, but that produced nothing, switched to the micro line with an expander, nothing again, so a look with maggot over the GB.  A small skimmer, but again, it wasn't the usual start at this venue.   Back to the caster line, whilst I changed the micro line to GB/caster.  Had a run of small roach, but they wouldn't keep coming, back out over the GB and had a couple more skimmers,

Peg 8 and peg 7 have to fish with crossed poles and it was made worse by Ryan on 7 being cack-handed.  We agreed a set up and his pole was over mine, I'd put  on of my rollers in place in case he dropped off his back roller and through my pole, so instead of my usual 3 rollers I was using 2 and they were too low.  I also dinked the end of my No7 section and started to lose my head.

The fish weren't feeding, nor did I think there were many there, as I was having no indications at all, I was going to get off my box and set up a waggler, but apathy won, I didn't.  Then the sun came round and with a slight ripple I couldn't see a flaot on either of my 14m lines, so started a new line I could see, never had a bite on that,

I doubt I had a pound and half in the last 3 hours of the match and wasn't sorry when it finished.  Maybe if I hadn't let the roller and sun situation get to me and I'd set up that waggler, I might have done better, but it may well have been one of those days.

Roll on the summer.



No comments: