Saturday 5 February 2022

Acorn Winter League R5, Saturday 5th February 2022

 Another changeable week weather wise, so inconsistent pressures and temperatures unsettling the fish, I quite like winter fishing, but I won't be sorry to see the spring and being able to put some bait in.....

Two pegs left in when my section was drawn, 31 and 40, I would have preferred 40, but got handed 31, its usually a decent peg, but I have never managed to do any good from it.  The advantage to 31 is that if the wind is from the West the building behind it offers shelter and it was predicted to be windy today.

4 rigs, a dobbing rig for over, another for maggot over, that would also do for down to the pallet of 30 and two rigs for down the track, one light with a 20 F1 on 0.10 and the other with a 0.13 and a 20 Kaizen.

Started on bread dobbing along the far bank, not so much a liner, switched to maggot, had a bite, and missed it, then had a another the fish came off half way back, didn't feel foul hooked, but no way of knowing now.  Had another straight away, a ghostie that put up a scrap.

That was the end of bites across, never had another indication over there all day, I had a couple of skimmers, a tench, two small perch, a roach and a rudd down the track. Last hour I concentrated on the pallet of peg 30, had three more carp and frustratingly with a couple of minutes to go I hooked another and it snagged under the pallet, I couldn't free it and had to go down to the pallet and ensure the fish wasn't snagged.  That cost me section points and probably money - that just about sums up my winter leagues this year. 

The venue fished hard, the worst average weight (13lb) per angler in the 3 years records I have.  Even the silvers were having an off day, here's hoping for some settled weather soon!




No comments: