Monday 11 November 2019

Acorn Winter League R1, Saturday 9th November 2109

I sometimes think I should have snappy, tempting or comedic titles for the blogs, today's would undoubtedly involve the cold and wet......

Frost on the van, ice on buckets of water at the fishery and the promise of rain, not sure why I had committed to this, but committed I had and I turned up, paid my dues and then drew peg 17 - the straight, which was good..... once upon a time.....

I drove round to the peg, leaving as much gear in the van as I could, as the rain was starting, no wind, so umbrella up and try to stay dry, as wet isn't too bad, cold isn't too bad, but both is bloody miserable.  I did have a method rod in the van, ready made up, I did put it on the roost and then put it away again at the end, here endeth the tale of method fishing.  Topkits comprised of a rig to fish close to the far bank, as the fish still come up there even in the cold, two rigs to fish down the track, one with 0.10 hooklength and the other the same, but with 0.14 - just in case.  A rig to fish down the far and near shelves as well.

Started over on 6mm pellet, had a bite and lost a fish, probably foul hooked, first put in and then had a 3lber next put in, that was as exciting as it got for an hour or so, I fed two lines down the track, one with micros and one with little balls of GB with some dead maggots.  I had one carp over the micros, a couple of skimmers and carp on dead maggots and then 2.5 hours without a bite, hard work with no reward, I did manage one more small carp over and with 10 minutes to go one about 6lb down to the pallet of 16.

Just over 17lb for bang average in section, beat 3, beaten by 3, so an unspectacular start to the league and it would be nice to have that one as the dropper.  I hope the weather is better for the next round.

Well done to Paul Faiers on winning from favoured peg 11 with 80lb+.

No comments: