Monday 11 November 2019

Matt Culpin's Snake Lake League, Landsend, Sunday 10th November 2019

Last round of Matt's league, the first one I had fished, I was standing in for someone (no idea who), it's been a popular league, but not for me, as I prefer 'proper' lakes, the odd trip to a snake, especially in winter is OK.  Whilst Landsend isn't in the truest sake, a snake lake, it does involve a lot of fishing to the islands.

I fancied a draw on the match lake, but as is the norm when I come to Landsend (such a shame the lakes aren't a bit bigger... as I love the tranquillity of the place) I ended up on lake 3, peg 70.  Peg 70 used to be a good peg for F1's but thy have either moved or gone to the big lake in the sky. 

It is an end peg, with a spit that is within easy reach at 14m, you expect to catch across to the spit, the end bank had eroded and has roots and trees exposed, always looks a little too treacherous for me and given that I could see the bottom a fair way out, I decided that I would leave that alone.   There is a weed bed to the right, its a fair size and at this time of year dies back and is under water, but with the water being very clear, it was easy to see where it started and ended, peg 68 can fish to the other side of it.

No rods (and that may well have been a mistake), so a simple tackle up, with a kit for across, another for off the end of the spit into the open water - would also do for a short line towards the weed bed.  Two rigs for off the end of the weed bed, similar, just one with 0.12 and the other with 0.14 hooklengths.

Started across, but with no sign, I then saw a small ghostie swim into the bay, turn and follow the bank along, towards my float before it buried and the light coloured common of about 3lb was safely netted.  That was the only fish from there all day, the sun didn't get in there and it looked cold and gloomy, I wouldn't have been in there if I was a fish....

The best line was off the end of the weedbed at 13m, feeding a few micros, caster and dead maggots, to try and catch all - it worked to some extent, I had 4 perch and a couple of roach, decent perch, best a touch over 2lb, smallest 1lb and 3 or 4 small carp.  The sun moved round and I could see fish up in the water and swimming over the sunken weedbed, so off the box and a shallow swinging rig set up, I was sure I'd tempt a carp or two, but they weren't having any of it.

I did try meat short to the weedbed and did have a couple of carp from there, the sun put paid to at least 2 hours fishing on the line where the fish were feeding on the maggots, I just could not see the float and in trying ended up with a headache from the sun reflecting off the water.  If I had brought a small lead rod, I could have carried on fishing the same line - missed a trick there, one to bank in the missed opportunity column.

I walked round the lake with the scales and two anglers in the middle of the lake (one on each bank) had 43/44lb, I knew I did't have that so I managed 3rd on lake,  2nd in section for whoever it was I was fishing for.  Some consolation as I had a nice little unexpected pick up for top silvers weight, would have expected more than 8lb as the match was spread over 3 lakes.

As expected the top weights came from the match lake, I didn't get the pictures of the other weigh sheets, so can't remember the exact finishing order, I think Steve Seager won from peg 19.

Next up the AT Silvers qualifier at Viaduct on Saturday, followed by the silvers league the next day.


No comments: