Friday 8 November 2019

Viaduct Silver league R3, Sunday 3rd November 2019

Somehow I ended up first into the draw tin, so all the good 'uns (and bad 'uns) in there.  I was not over impressed with the peg I drew, 113 on Campbell.  I knew there was scant chance of framing from there and it's not a good section peg, so another match of attrition, where every bite would be vital to try and keep from being last in section.

As 113 is set back from the others along that bank, I set up a waggler and a small 3 square cage feeder.  Topkits were assembled for along the edges, hoping for a perch or tench, but suspecting the water was now too cold and too clear for it to work.  A Chianti with strung out 11's for roach and two skimmer rigs, a bulk and single dropper and a double bulk rig.

Started on the roach rig after feeding two lines at 14m one with GB and casters, the other with GB and dead maggots. The roach line did give up 3 small roach in 20 minutes, but it was painfully slow and it wasn't going to give the weight I'd need.  A switch to fishing caster over the GB saw a couple of small skimmers come to the net and a switch to the dead maggot line saw a couple more landed.

I had 8 or 9 small skimmers in the first couple of hours, then spent 2 hours 30 minutes without a bite from anywhere in the peg - apart from carp on the waggler or feeder, single caster, double caster, same with maggot, it didn't take long to get one and I had them from 3lb to low doubles.

I gave up in the end and came back in on the pole line and two better skimmers, one with 40 minutes to go and one with 20 minutes left.  I had been absolutely battered off the next peg by Martin Rayet who paralysed the section from 112 with 27lb odd, 112 is about 5m further into the lake than 113, so not sure why he wasn't carped out, be well done. Second in section was 111 with 11lb odd and my 9lb took an unexpected third in section - luckily Martin framed so I picked up 2nd in section money be default...

Tough day, frustrating with the carp, doubt I'll catch that many again this winter......






No comments: