Saturday 16 November 2019

Angling Trust Silvers Qualifier, Viaduct, Saturday 16th November 2019

Nice idea to run a silvers national competition along the lines of Fishomania.  With there being a local round at Viaduct, it would have been a shame not to enter.  Fellow silvers enthusiast and long time angling mate Paul Faiers also entered and we had a chat about which pegs we did and didn't fancy before the draw.

Well, into that draw tub and I pulled out 116, not one I would have chosen, as the skimmers have been at the top end of Campbell for  few weeks now and I didn't think the rain, snow and cold weather this week would have persuaded them to move.  Paul drew peg 1 (Spring Lake) one we had on our not desirable list, but with the windless day and it was brightening up, I did say to him that he would be in with a shout if it turned into a roach match.

With two hours to set up, I was ready ages before the start, having set up a waggler, 3lb Preston sinking mono, a great waggler line for silver fishing, a 0.10 hooklength and a 20 red carp maggot hook.  A 3 square cage feeder, on the Cadence 10' wand, 4;b sinking mono and a 0.10 hooklength with a 20 F1 hook. Four topkits, one for down the edge looking for a perch or tench - never had a bite on it. so no more about that, two rigs to fish at 14m for, hopefully, skimmers, both HB Frosties one 2g and the other 4g both with 0.08 hooklengths and a 20 F1 hook.  Finally a Chianti with the same hooklength and hook, to fish at 2 + 2.

On the all-in just one line at 14m fed, there was an area at 14m with a slight drop off and slope to the right, so I fed just at the top of the slope, so I could draw the bait just onto it.  Then started on the 2+2 line loose feeding caster, this did produce a few roach, but wasn't hectic, then a bigger fish gave me a hastening heart rate, a tench 2lb or so, safely netted after giving me the run round on purple Middy elastic.
This line slowed up so I went out on the 14m line, a couple of roach from here, but no quicker, I re-fed and dropped straight on it, two quick roach and then a better fish, a bream about 3lb, that gave me hope and also probably cost me money.  I stuck it out looking for skimmers but no more were forthcoming.  I had a look on the waggler and could catch roach on that, but it was still slow.  I re-fed the 14m line and looked again, it was the same each time, I got a couple of quick roach, then nothing.

This made me pick up the feeder and give this a go, one bite one skimmer in 20 minutes, I thought the roach would be worth going for, so switched to the waggler, feeding caster and I was soon getting a bite a chuck from roach from 1-3oz, as typical with fishing for roach this size, I hit and landed 4 in a row, then missed as many, busy fishing.

I couldn't help stopping now and again, especially the last 45 minutes, to pick up the pole and try for skimmers, this has ultimately cost me second in section and the section money by default, as the skimmers were either not there or would not feed.  The section (and match) was won from the peg most fancied, but well done to Stu White, as you still have to catch them, 36lb, but 15.12 was second and I put 14.02 on the scales, I am sure sticking with the roach on the waggler would have seen me catch at least the 2lb needed.  Experience would suggest that the way to catch up at the end would be to stick it out and wait for skimmers, maybe the earlier finish should have made me think otherwise.

Well done to Paul winning his section from peg 1 and making the final at Hallcroft, with mainly roach.









No comments: