Monday 13 July 2020

Acorn Evening Open, Monday 13th July 2020

First evening match of the year for me, these three hour matches generally need a simple approach and one or two lines to catch on.

Peg 17 drawn for me, I did have enough time to set up 3 topkits, one for the edge, one for across and one for the bottom of the near shelf - hoping that only two would be needed at the most.  I had pellets and more pellets, that was the bait on the side tray - this proved to be a mistake tonight, but has been right in matches past.

Started across on the shelf, nothing, not even a liner - that  is unusual for this venue, I tried a line at the bottom of the first shelf and had a couple of small fish, I'd carried on pinging pellets across, but there was no signs of fish.  I started feeding the margins, just pellets one side and a nugget of GB and pellets the other.

Back across, I guess I couldn't believe that I wasn't getting any bites over there, I did get a couple of fish, but it was slow and painful going, it was fairly obvious that 4/6mm pellets weren't the bait.  I did find some nearly dead worms in the van and feed a bit more GB down the LH edge, I had one fish from the RH edge on pellet, but I did have several on the poorly worms down the LH edge, but it wasn't enough to keep up with Matt on peg 15 fishing caster shallow, I could also see Trigger on 9 catching, I'd seen him get off his box and fetch some different bait from his car, I had backed myself into a corner not having a change bait.

It was a miserable night rained most of the match, quite a few tipped back and I was one of them, knowing my 45lb wasn't troubling the frame...

Next week I will be bringing a couple of different baits!!

11st Craig Edmunds 138.9lb peg 9 2nd gabe Skarba 100.1lb peg 31 3rd Matt Culpin 85.12 lb peg 15 4th Jack Jones 62.12lb peg 3 5th Martin Rayet 56.9lb peg 34 6th Paul Lasson 52.10 peg 13

No comments: