Tuesday 28 July 2020

England Ladies Fundraiser, Barston Lakes, Tuesday 28th July 2020

The annual fund raiser organised by Julie Abbott for the England Ladies team, usually a good match with a raffle and a beer after, but the current situation meant there was no raffle.

Travelled up with Tony, first time travelling since the lockdown started, bit of a palaver in the restaurant at Barston, had to download an app to order breakfast, it was easy enough once the app downloaded and a decent breakfast.

Draw saw me on 101, not many good vibes about it, I had come pretty much prepared to fish for skimmers and this just reinforced the decision.  Got a text asking what peg I was on and then promptly got a reply....


I set up a method feeder and a cage feeder and a couple of pole rigs, one to fish banded pellet and one for corn, soft pellet or worm.  The tow was pretty strong, I had a 0.5g rig on, but was going to step up too 0.8g if required.  I fed the skimmer lines at 13m, didn't go further as the wind was forecast to get heavier.  I chucked a method a bout 60 yards for 10 minutes whist the skimmer lines settled, not even a liner.

Started on the pellet line and it was worryingly inactive, switched to the corn line and had a couple of fish, but they weren't queuing up for it.  I wondered about the presentation and tried the cage feeder with corn/micros and a little bit of GB at 25m.  3 quick skimmers - not big ones and then nothing, that was  pattern emerging.....

I swapped round between the pellet line and the corn, but I was really struggling, with 90 minutes to go, I decided to try and get some bites,  I fed a line at 8m with GB and maggots, it was a like switching a switch on, I had a palm sized skimmer every put in, had I done this earlier, I may well have troubled the section, but it was the right decision, just far too late in the match.

Lets hope the matches can be back to normal next year, with a return to a bigger entry, the raffle and a beer afterwards.









No comments: