Sunday 19 July 2020

Float Only Open, Shiplate Farm, 19th July 2020

Nice to get back to this tidy fishery, this should have been one of Tony's float only league matches, but now run as opens.  I was hoping for a draw on the main lake, but sadly, I managed to pull my self out 15 on Hawthorn, apparently, so I was informed by more than one person, its a feast or famine peg.

It looks nice, I fully expected to have a days fishing, I spent ages plumbing round the peg and settled on two rigs for fishing across, both with a banded hooklength - two rigs as the depths were too different to use one.  A meat rig to fish short, a rig to fish the LH margin, but it was over 3' deep, so wasn't sure what to expect.



Bait tray was simple, pellets and 8mm meat.  Started on meat and in the first 35 minutes I had two carp for about 12lb and 5 decent skimmers and a chub for nigh on 10lb.  I thought it was going to be OK, the meat line went quiet, I went across, toss potting some 4mm pellets and fishing a 6mm in the band.  I managed one 4oz skimmer on that, it was the only bite.

I fished diligently for a couple of hours, then set up a new rig and started a micro/soft pellet line, I had a couple of small skimmers but it looked to be going nowhere.  At 13:35 I had one down the edge on 8mm pellet and I had 2 in quick succession at 14:50 on the short mat line and that was it, nothing more to say about the day, a disaster, I don't feel I did a lot wrong, there just weren't many fish in the area.

Well done to Russ Peck on taking it out from the main lake and there was an 80lb+ weight of skimmers from there as well.

No comments: