Sunday 12 July 2020

Landsend Open, Sunday 12th July 2020

Tony Rixon had put this one on and its a while since I've been and the first time since its changed hands, with Gary Anderson of Darting fame now owning the fishery.

I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with the place, it's one of the most peaceful venues I go to and I really enjoy that side of it, personally I'd like to see some of the trees and bushes removed or at least seriously pruned and it could do wit a bit of a re-stock to freshen it up.  Apparently Gary is going to do this, so lets hope it gives a new lease of life.

I was unusually last to draw and was handed 22, it used to be a good skimmer peg, but the silvers fishing isn't what it was, so I'd come to fish for carp.  A rig for over in about 15" of water, one for down the far shelf, about 2' 6" deep.  Shallow rig, meat rig for a short line and a margin rig to fish down to the pallet of 23, where I could get close in in shallower water - the rest of the margins either side were too over grown to get in tight.

I started across, but nothing doing, so left it and hoped they come there later on, the short meat saw me hook one fish, but it came off well before I even saw it, didn't feel foul hooked, but who knows.... I went back a cross and had a carp, but the action was pretty slow, I ended up coming onto the rig that was a bit deeper and fishing down the shelf, I picked off odd fish for a couple of hours but it was slow going and that dried up and I went the best part of two hours without a fish, it never felt like there were many there.

I switched to the margin, where I'd been feeding 8mm pellets and had a double figure fish, 10 minutes later one nudging 8lb and with 40 minutes to go I thought I may have a chance of geting a decent weight, but that was it, no more fish, couldn't tempt one from anywhere and still didn't feel they were in the peg in any number.

So a nice day, in pleasant surroundings and good company, but an also ran place.




No comments: