Sunday 5 July 2020

Ivy House Open, Sunday 5th July 2020

Back to Ivy House today, I hadn't realised that you could choose between a match on the canals and a match on Heron, I was booked into Heron and it was too late to change - oh well, I should at least get a few bites.

With gusts of up to 40mph forecast, I had chucked a couple of feeder rods in the van and when I drew peg 9, Allan Oram said I should get plenty of bites on the feeder into the bay....


Plenty of time to set up so I set up both feeder rods, one with a method and one with a pellet feeder partly because I've never caught a fish on a pellet feeder, so maybe time for a first!

Pole rigs were simple, a 4x12 to fish banded pellet short, a another to fish it longer (not too long, given the forecast) and  0.5g in case it was needed.  A shallow rig and one for close into the boards.

Bait tray was simple, 4 and 6mm hard pellets, I did have a few dead maggots and some caster left over from yesterday, but they would be left in the bag.  Started on the feeder and didn't have a bite in 4 casts. that was enough for me, so switched to the short pole, feeding 4mm, fishing 6mm banded pellets.

Was catching reasonably well on that, but it was small fish, so stopped feeding 4mm and switched to 6mm.  That didn't really increase the size of the fish and they would come and go, I did get the maggots out of the bag and feed them in nuggets of GB down the edge, this was not ideal as it was too deep really, as I had a few foulers, but they did settle in the end.

Decided I had to try and push things, so started fishing casters shallow, I really expected to see some fish come to this and it proved to be a waste of time, as I didn't have a bite on it.

Finished off trying to make the short pellet line work, it was odd, upping the feed would see the bites increase for a short spell and then dry up, steady feeding didn't keep them coming any faster, so a strange day.  Just can't seem to get the feeding tight in the last few matches.

Put 86lb on the scales for a resounding halfway finish.




No comments: