Saturday 29 May 2021

Acorn Winter League, Penultimate Round, Saturday 29th May 2021

 Well, it didn't feel like winter today, so very cloud having a silver lining and all that, I was 4th in the league going into this match and knowing it was a tough section, with the chance of peg 15 or one side of the bride chucking up a weight.  I drew 26, at least the wind was blowing down towards my end, so hopefully a few fish might follow it down.  26 has a long curved edge and with 27 not drawn I did have plenty of room.  I have drawn it once before, almost exactly a year ago and was 5th with 109lb.

Peg 26 circled red

Todays approach was going to be pretty simple, hard pellets and live maggots.  Two identical rigs for across, home made floats wit a 0.13 hooklength and a 18 LWG, one with a band and one without.  A rig for the bottom of the near shelf, which is the deepest part of the peg - a Roob, again with a 0.13 hooklength and a 18 LWG.  A carbon stemmed Roob for halfway down the shelf and a margin rig.

I started across on banded pellet and it wasn't long before I had a 6lb ghostie, but it wasn't a portent of things to come, as the indications usually expected across weren't forthcoming, I stuck at it and had a Carassio and another carp, but that was it and with a couple of hours gone it wasn't looking good, although I couldn't see anyone else catching well in the section.

A switch to the maggot rig and toss potting maggots across, saw a couple more fish in the net and a few silvers, I reckon going into the last hour I had 30lb of carp and 8lb silvers, I started feeding a short line with maggots, at the bottom of the shelf, this gave me 5 carp for another 30lb in the last hour and the all important section win.

That leaves me in second place going into the last match, so all to fish for.





No comments: