Saturday 1 May 2021

Acorn Winter League, R3, Saturday 1st May 2021

 This delayed winter league is definitely more of a spring league now, but with the frosts every night in April, the fish are still stuck in limbo, between winter mode and spring on many venues.

My turn to be in the section that runs from peg 1 -13, I was not too bothered where I drew, although in that section I would rather not have peg 6, so what do I have drawn for me, yep, 6. Which is top left corner on the satellite picture below, with a video view from today.

Acorn Paddock Fishery





Simple bait tray, pellets and maggots,  I would usually only take hard pellets, but given the water temp I had micros and expanders with me...

Set up two identical rigs, homemade (assembled) floats to fish across into the cut out in the grass I trimmed up with shears before the start, one with a band and one without,  A shallow rig, a full depth rig to fish against the bridge and a rig for down the edge, with that I found 3 areas the same depth - across to the right. very short to my left and down to the pallet of 7.

Started across on soft pellet, potting in a few micros, this usually brings an instant response, but not today,  A switch to maggots on the hook and potting them in did at least see a decent fish around 6lb netted.  It was slow going and I added a couple more fish, the depth rig by the bridge was used as a rotation and I fed a small ball of GB there, it was fizzing, but bites we few and far between, small tench and a couple of skimmers along with the smallest carp of the day (1lb or so). 

The right margin only gave up one fish, the short margin nothing, but I did have a run of fish from the pallet of 7, again on maggots, the only bait I could catch on. 

At the all out I had 71lb on the clicker and thought I had 6lb or so of silvers, I was pretty bang on with the carp, but the biggest tench must have been near 5lb as the silvers went 10lb.  Unfortunately not enough, as Kev on peg 5 pipped my by 2lb for the section.... catching on paste, in a winter league match!!!!

I think that leaves me second in the league with 3 to fish, open draw next round before the rotation starts again, 



No comments: