Monday 24 May 2021

Tony Rixon's Float Only, Sedges, Sunday 23rd May 2021

 Just looked back to see how long since I was last at sedges and it is nearly two years, where does the time go....

I like the venue, well looked after, usually a good days fishing, but it does seem a little dominated by the corners and I expected the same today, especially given the weather forecast which wouldn't have sounded out of place on the shipping forecast, with a very brisk wind and rain.

Well, I wasn't surprised when I didn't draw a corner and even more frustrating was seeing peg 28 on the drawcard, a good feeder peg!  The island is reachable easily with a waggler, but that was going to be a pointless ask today.


I did set up a pellet waggler, in the vain hope the wind would drop or the fish were so desperately hungry they'd grab a pellet as it landed or with it trotting through like the Wye with 8' on.....  Also set up a full depth waggler again to fish pellet.

Topkits were quite simple - a shallow rig that didn't get used, a margin rig, a Roob for meat short and a Roob for banded pellet at 11m - never got more than that out of the bag.

On the all in I did start on the pellet waggler, I could get to the island and get 8mm pellets there, but it was going to as pointless as I thought, even feeding a bow out to try and get the float to sit still for a few seconds didn't help and I soon abandoned it.

Onto the pellet line at 11m, took ages to get a bite and when I did it was a 2lb eel, in fantastic condition, really good to see them thriving in Sedges. I did gat a carp on it, but was finding it tough going.  I tried the meat short and had one leather carp on that, but it was the only bite, so back onto the 11m line, this did start to see some indication's as I upped the feed a little, but the wind was tricky, couple ore fish and as I could find a bit of trip against the wind, I put the waggler over the line and tried a metre past.  

Couple of fish on the waggler and the wind got up even more, that put paid to the trip, so waggler back up the bank and an 11m battle resumed, I am sure if I could have fished a bomb and pellet I'd have been catching quicker.  I gave my body a bit of respite and dropped back onto the 5m line, had three or four skimmers before that died completely.  By now it was all but impossible to fish at 11m and the fish didn't seem to want to come any closer, I managed one that I took to the scales and weighed from the margin (14.08 - you have to weigh fish bigger than 15lb and put them back), but probably spent too long there, I should have tried to persevere with the 11m line, although the pole was continually being blown round.

Anyway, end the day with 92lb second in section, so not the start I wanted, but it could have been worse, the section winner also won the silvers, so a default section pick up coming my way.  The results took ages to get out as the rain destroyed some of the weigh sheets and I don't have all the sheets, as predicted the top four weights were from corners and my 92lb was 7th overall, (40 fishing).

1. J Andre 146.10                                                                                                                                          2. Joe McMahon 140.08                                                                                                                                3. Tom Thick 139.00                                                                                                                                      4. Matt Tomes 132.01                                                                                                                                    5. Aaron Britnell 112.02                                                                                                                                6. Ryan Shipp 109.10                                                                                                                                 





No comments: