Sunday 9 May 2021

Tony Rixon's Short Pole Series, R1, Sunday 9th May 2021

 First round of the short pole league today, over two lakes at Todber, Ash and Homeground, wasn't too fussed where I drew, but when 83 came out of the tub, I did think it might be the wrong end of the lake. Can't be much simpler than a short pole match, topkit + up to 3 sections allowed.

Topkits set up for margin, which was shallower than I would have liked, as a cold wind was blowing at me, two pellet rigs, one for topkit and one for topkit+3.  Meat rig also set up, to fish at topkit+2.

Started on the topkit with pellet and had a fish first put in, which was a bit of a false dawn, as I only put 20lb in the net in the first hour and even fed the margin early, but to no avail, gradually the topkit+3 line started producing fish, ranging from 3lb - 7lb, I had a couple of looks back in the margin but the wait for a fish was too long and then they were small, so I had 4 fish from the margin throughout the match, whilst the pellet line in open water was much stronger.

I fed through a toss pot, a medium Matrix pot filled up with 6mm Coppens each put in, last 40 minutes I dropped back onto the topkit line, which I'd been feeding by hand and had a decent run of fish, maybe I should have dropped back on it earlier.

Come the weigh in I put 224.14 on the scales, which was enough for 3rd in the match, but only second in section, beaten by Martin on 82.  





No comments: