Sunday 9 May 2021

Main Lake Open, Shiplate Farm, Monday 3rd May 2021

Just for a change... (not) I drew as far away from where the winners come from - peg 8.  I decided straight away that fishing for silvers would be my best bet to pick up.  It was a windy day, so I decided not to venture past 11m, with a line at 6m, and a rig to fish casters very short down the LH edge.

Feeding GB laced with dead maggots and casters, it was soon apparent by the rig that the water was towing hard from R to L, the peg had a bit of 'fizz' but it was coming up about 4' from where I was feeding, suggesting the tow was spreading the bait along the bottom.

I found a light 4x12 strung out rig best, as the fish weren't keen on picking up a bait static on the deck, I had started in a cage feeder, but felt it wasn't right, the light rig was picking up fish myuch better than a bulk rig and I stuck with it throughout.

The caster line short was only giving up small fish, the 6m line did produce a couple of fish, but the 11m line was by far and away the best.  I had fed a line at 11m off to the right, with micros, I tried expander and corn over it, only two skimmers from that, but two carp, hopefully it was keeping the carp off the skimmer line.

Picked up two tench near the end and a bream of 5.05, giving me a total of 44.05, with travelling partner Tony taking second in silvers with 29.09, so a happy van on the way home.




No comments: